I have dealt with about 10 new clients in the past week and helped them out. Some of them didn’t even use any antivirus protection. I would recommend using ESET. I resell this and it’s worth the $25 a year to stay protected. Keep in mind, when you or someone uses the computer and go to certain websites, it downloads a little temporary file that attaches itself in your windows/user files.
If you run WINDOWS VISTA or WINDOWS 7, you might want to try this with the TEMP and TMP files so it doesn’t load them into the User Profile and corrupt your system. It doesn’t stop everything, but it makes it very easy to check the temporary files that are un-wanted and un-needed.
The Windows Profile (User that you log into Windows with) will be a hidden directory that you can't just go into and delete the files in the TEMP directory. Do not delete the folder, but you can delete anything in the TEMP directory, also, this applies to the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory as well. When you do a Delete Cookies and Cache, this doesn't always remove the Windows Temp files.
Steps to Create TEMP Directory and Edit Your Advanced Settings
- Create a Directory on your C: Drive called Temp Files
You can Double Left click on My Computer or Computer and go in the C drive and create this.
- LEFT CLICK on Start and then RIGHT CLICK Computer
- LEFT CLICK on Properties
- LEFT CLICK on Advanced System Settings
- LEFT CLICK on Environment Variables
- You will notice in the top box with TEMP and TMP (These are temporary files where windows saved items), LEFT CLICK on the TEMP line so it’s highlighted and then LEFT CLICK on Edit. You want to change the Variable Value to be C:\Temp Files (You will have to have this created like I listed on step #1, then you can do this) Make sure you make the directory in the root of the C DRIVE. After you put in C:\Temp Files LEFT CLICK on OK
- Do the same as #6, but LEFT CLICK the TMP line and LEFT CLICK on Edit and put in C:\Temp Files and then LEFT CLICK on OK.
- After you changed both, you should see both Values are C:\Temp Files, LEFT CLICK on OK and LEFT CLICK on OK again to close out of the System Properties.
- Reboot your machine and this makes the TEMP files not in the profile/user part and might have control if you seem to get a lot of spyware on your machine from links or websites. You do want to make sure you have a good antivirus, so you can always contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 262-706-3235 if it turns out to be a bigger issue.
Remember, I do post a lot of different tips on my website with free advice and links, you can access this by clicking on: http://pcitbacktogether.com/index-3.html
Items I have posted on the Muskego Patch about different programs you should use for your computer are listed below:
- Smart defrag 2.2 – Free to use and organizes your hard drive and make it go faster.
- Agent Ransack – Free file searching utility
- Do you use Outlook? .
- Wonder what your Windows Profile does that could making your PC run slow? See my Patch about this topic.
- PDF995 – Want an awesome program to convert a file into a PDF for free?
- DocsPal – Convert files to other formats free of charge
Have a Safe New Year and spread the word about my blog!